It's Back to School Night in Kindergarten!

This year, I decided to try something new at Back to School Night. I felt that it would be important to give my short time with parents to that which is most valued in my classroom.

I began with community building, encouraging parents to get to know each other with an interactive, hands on community art project. My kindergarteners and I decided together ahead of Back to School Night that a fingerprint painting project would be manageable for their parents.

Once we were gathered together for me to introduce our classroom culture to the parents, I continued to give time to that which is most valued in my classroom. It was important to me to begin with our Quaker identity. (if you want to read more about that, click here) This is the container for how we interact with each other and with the world around us. It is the base for our Social Emotional Learning. What is more important that SEL in any elementary classroom?!

Next, I invited the parents to share their thinking as I began to describe the classroom culture and to highlight the big ideas in kindergarten. I very much wanted parents to experience what their children experience - the importance of Quakerism and thinking.

Here is my visual presentation:

https://www.smore.com/f6qus-welcome-to-kx

Comments

Popular Posts